[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 0.6 status update

Reinhard Tartler siretart
Tue Mar 2 15:09:12 CET 2010

Hi folks,

Diego and I had a phone call last Saturday, in which we discussed the 0.6
release. Here's the plan:

 - create branches/0.6 on X
 - tracking changes and "backporting" them until X + 7days
 - reconsider the difference between branches/0.6 and trunk for r days
 - release on X + 7days + r

Currently, we plan to try Mar 13 as date X, but depending on the
resulting discussion about this announcement, we can also delay it a few
days/weeks. Depending on the condition of the 0.6 branch on day X + 7
(this might be Mar 20), we can ideally release in the week between 22-27
of Mar.

Now some more general comments on the plan: As Michael has asked to
avoid a formal freeze, we are trying something different this time:
branch early and consider the patches that are applied during the week
from branch date manually for the release branch. This of course has the
drawback that working on 0.6 doesn't become easier. So if you do care
about the release, you can immensely help us with:

 - working on keeping trunk in shape (AKA keep FATE 'green')
 - avoid 'risky' changes
 - after creating branches/0.6, clearly state in the commit message if
   you think a patch should go into the release
 - focus on reviews that fix regressions

We're looking forward to the next release -- FFmpeg "Works with HTML5" 0.6 !

--
Gruesse/greetings,
Reinhard Tartler, KeyID 945348A4