[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg 0.6 status update

Reinhard Tartler siretart
Tue Jun 15 22:49:14 CEST 2010

On Wed, Mar 03, 2010 at 14:09:45 (CET), Benjamin Larsson wrote:

> Reinhard Tartler wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>> [... Lots of text ...]
>>
>> We're looking forward to the next release -- FFmpeg "Works with
>> HTML5" 0.6 !

Okay, that release is now ready, and linked from
http://ffmpeg.org/download.html

> I have a suggestion regarding the release. To help so called "news"
> sites and other media I suggest we write a formal press release and
> translations of it. This to reduce the "fud" often spread in badly
> written articles. I also volunteer to write English and Swedish version.

What's the status of that?

I propose these lines as news entry on the front page, essentially taken
from the release notes:

,----
| * 0.6 "Works with HTML5" June 15, 2010
|
| This release features a lot of improvements that are relevant for HTML5 video.
| The H.264 and Theora decoders are now significantly faster, the vorbis decoder
| has seen important updates and this release supports Google's newly released
| libvpx library for the VP8 codec and WEBM container.
|
| Other important changes are additions of decoders including, but not limited to,
| Intel Indeo 5, WMA Pro, WMA Voice and HE-AAC.
|
| Please note that our policy on bug reports has not changed. We still only accept
| bug reports against HEAD of the FFmpeg trunk repository. If you are experiencing
| any issues with any formally released version of FFmpeg, please try a current
| version of the development code to check if the issue still exists. If it does,
| make your report against the development code following the usual bug reporting
| guidelines.
`----

Would that work as basis for being translated, or did you have something
else in mind? Moreover, how do we want to publish the translations
technically? As plain text files at
e.g. http://ffmpeg.org/releases/ffmpeg-0.6.release.se
?

--