[FFmpeg-devel] [CHECKLIST] what is preventing us from switch to git

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Jun 12 12:15:28 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 10:37:17AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> I noticed that more and more people started to use git instead of svn to
> contribute to ffmpeg, I'm wondering if the times are now mature to switch
> to git.
>
> Could you please raise (again) your concerns about switching to git?

personally i dont really care if we use svn,cvs or git the differences
dont matter much in normal everyday development if one has a write account.

a few points id like to raise though are that
* a switch if it is done should not
  be done during SOC to not burden the students unneccessarily
* It should be announced at least 2 weeks before its done so people
  have a bit of time to get used to git and maybe to commit outstanding
  changes from their svn checkout
* We need to document, a short cheat sheet that lists the
  git equivalents to the common svn commands (that of course before
  a switch is done)

  This also reminds me that quite a bit of code in ffmpeg is badly lacking
  documentation, one i ran into a few times was for example the scripts and
  how to make sure thir cross compilation doesnt break. (A self test during
  regression testing that tests them more thorughout might also be usefull)

No human being will ever know the Truth, for even if they happen to say it
by chance, they would not even known they had done so. -- Xenophanes