[FFmpeg-devel] native Vorbis encoder status

Frank Barchard fbarchard
Fri Jun 4 03:09:06 CEST 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 4:57 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at>wrote:

> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 01:22:47AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > We have been discussing this on IRC, now I'm moving it here..
> >
> > The native Vorbis encoder sucks.  So much that I will disable it on
> > the 0.6 branch before release.  Once again, people have expressed
> > interest to disable it in trunk as well.
> >
> > We need to decide its fate once and for all.  Suggestions welcome.
>
> janne is working on this (and with less drama and more sanity
> than this thread)

Quality of ffvorbis (with recent patches) is lower than libvorbis, but not
horrible. Comparable to lame mp3.
My biggest grip is that it doesn't do mono or multichannel.

The main merit at this point, is that ffvorbis is 4x faster than libvorbis.
 For realtime encoding, I'm not sure libvorbis is an option.  oggenc2 beats
both on performance, and seems based on libvorbis?
Benchmark on 3m 24s stereo 44.1 Khz

ffmpeg -y -i chicken.wav -acodec libvorbis -ab 128000 -vn -f ogg
chicken_libvorbis.ogg
50381.27ms

ffmpeg -y -i chicken.wav -acodec vorbis -aq 35 -vn -f ogg chicken_vorbis.ogg
11998.04ms

oggenc2 -b 140 -o chicken_oggenc2.ogg chicken.wav
8697.48ms