[FFmpeg-devel] vdpau/vaapi/xvba

Gwenole Beauchesne gbeauchesne
Tue Jun 1 16:06:53 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, Olivier Galibert wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 08:06:15AM -0400, compn wrote:
>> you should be asking which implementation plays the most types of
>> codecs with the most types of resolutions at the least amount of
>> cpu/wattage. or with the least problems (e.g. using hwaccel while
>> running a 3d composite desktop).
>
> That would be a difficult comparison, since they at that point target
> different hardware.  My question was much more a case of "which api is
> best" instead of "which implementation is best" or even "which
> hardware is best".

This still is not a correct question. What you need to tell is what you
need to do. Developing an application, a driver? What HW do you target,
etc.?

VA-API:
- Encoding support
- Android support (experimental)
- Support for rendering to an OpenGL texture
- 6 drivers available today, 2 more to come. i.e. large HW support

VDPAU:
- Advanced de-interlacing features
- Other post-processing features like sharpness
- Newer drivers now support an OpenGL interop too

Crystal HD:
- Easy API: bitstream level, i.e. feed bitstream, get decoded pixels

Regards,
Gwenole.