[FFmpeg-devel] Interpolation algorithms for FFmpeg

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Thu Jul 29 04:37:00 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 6:06 PM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 04:21:48PM -0700, Jason Garrett-Glaser wrote:
>> >
>> > Already done and open source, see EEDI.

>> > Already done and open source, see MVtools.
>> >
>> > Dark Shikari
>> >

>> Also I should note that on real-world video content, no spatial,
>> temporal, or spatiotemporal interpolation algorithm has ever beaten
>> NNEDI in any test that I've seen.
>
> NNEDI is closed source

Algorithm is public though.  AFAIK, Loren's written his own version --
there's no hidden magic to it.

>and very slow from what i know

Because it's written purely in float and unnecessarily slow, really.
IIRC, Loren suggested it could be at least 10x faster with hardly any
changes to the overall concept, which is enough to at least do SD in
realtime.

Anyways, that's why I suggested EEDI as well.  It's almost as good as
NNEDI, particularly at avoiding aliasing and keeping edges sharp, and
not nearly as slow.

Dark Shikari