[FFmpeg-devel] compile issues under mingw-cross-env

John Calcote john.calcote
Sun Jul 11 23:34:55 CEST 2010

On 7/11/2010 2:52 PM, Eli Friedman wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 11, 2010 at 1:33 PM, John Calcote <john.calcote at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> strcasecmp is required to be in POSIX 2001 [1], and if you define _POSIX_C_SOURCE to 200112L then #include <strings.h> is required to make said symbol visible [2].
>>>
>>> So in this case it's mingw that's wrong.
>>>
>>> [1] http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/strings.h.html
>>> [2] http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/xsh_chap02_02.html
>>>

>> David, your statement is 100 percent true but you missed my point
>> entirely. Basically, -std=c99 and _POSIX_C_SOURCE=200112L are
>> conflicting flags that, when used together, give undefined results. It's
>> cool that the results you've gotten so far are what you wanted, but you
>> can't count on those results on all platforms because the results of
>> using the two together is not defined by any standard.
>>
> The conflict in question doesn't exist.  _POSIX_C_SOURCE is a reserved
> identifier in C99, so defining it means that POSIX can override
> anything the C99 standard says.

Eli, what is the basis of your remarks?

1) I've searched the current publically available C99 standard (WG14
N1256 [C99 + TC1 + TC2 + TC3]
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/docs/n1256.pdf, referenced
from http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg14/www/standards) and I see no
references to _POSIX_C_SOURCE, either as a reserved identifier, or
otherwise. In fact the only reference to POSIX at all is found in the
Bibliography [entry 16] and refers only to Part II: Shell and Utilities.
If C99 had anything to say about POSIX as a standard, I would expect to
find a reference to it in section 2 Normative References, or at least in
the Appendices as informative references.

2) Even if _POSIX_C_SOURCE was a reserved identifier (which you can see
from my first point is not true at all), it still would not follow that
POSIX can override anything the C99 standard says.

Regards,
John