[FFmpeg-devel] Audio conversion and floating-point codecs

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Jul 10 22:11:46 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 10:09:12AM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Peter Ross <pross at xvid.org> writes:

> >> I've posed the same question myself, without finding a good answer.
> >> Some codecs support a huge number of channels.  I can say for sure,
> >
> > Second contenious point:
> > At present, the user allocates the samples buffer that is handed
> > of to avcodec_decode_audioN().
> >
> > IMHO this is sloppy. Just look at how ffmpeg.c guesses the buffer size.
> > The alternative is to have the decoder do it, e.g. by calling
> > avctx->get_buffer() with the number the samples/channels to be output.
> > Thoughts?
>
> Makes sense, although get_buffer() is presently rather image-centric.

yes,
AVFrame could be extended and used for audio frames for example

The real ebay dictionary, page 1
"Used only once"    - "Some unspecified defect prevented a second use"
"In good condition" - "Can be repaird by experienced expert"
"As is" - "You wouldnt want it even if you were payed for it, if you knew ..."