[FFmpeg-devel] Democratic election of the server admins

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Sun Jul 4 01:53:42 CEST 2010

On 7/3/10 3:48 PM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> Hello thouse who rule, thouse who are all the developers of ffmpeg.
>
> I belive that ffmpeg as fundamentally democratic project should democratically
> elect its server administrators once per year
> The process described here is just intended for the first such election and
> can itself be changed by vote of the ffmpeg developers in any way and
> at any time the ffmpeg developers see fit. I would though ask that irrelevant
> bikesheds be done after this years election.
>
> Currently, there are 3 root administrators on mphq (attila, diego and mans)
> They have gotten their positions though volunteering when admins where needed.
> attila has physical access to the server and takes care of things that
> require physical access. Diego and Attila take care of MPlayer related tasks
> while Diego and Mans take care of ffmpeg related tasks.
> As attila is difficult to replace (as he is the only one with physical
> access and we need such a person) and also that he has done an outstanding
> and flawless job besides being more mplayer admin than ffmpeg admin, i do not
> list him in this election. But i would like to emphasize that if any single
> developer wants to include attilas position in a vote, iam ready to change
> this and include him.

No objection.

> * no overmajority, quorum or other aditional limits shall be present.

Can you please clarify ?

 > [...]
 >
> * Past years admins may nominate themselfs again indefinitly, allthough it is
>    recommanded that they do not if other good and trustworthy candidates are
>    available to give them a chance too.

IMHO this is left to the voters' decision. A great admin should be able
to continue doing his great job indefinitely.

> * The admins manage the repository accounts in accordance to the decissions of
>    the project leader. In case of disagreement disputed accounts shall be
>    closed, and immedeatly afterwards public discussion and if needed a vote
>    shall be held to resolve the disagrement.

I don't agree with that. Svn write access should be given and removed
based on a decision or vote  by at least a few maintainers including the
project leader.

Baptiste COUDURIER