[FFmpeg-devel] FFmpeg booth at FOSDEM 2010

Stefan Gehrer stefan.gehrer
Mon Feb 8 20:30:33 CET 2010

compn wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 00:13:41 +0100, Vladimir Pantelic wrote:
>> this year we had 6 "machines" running lavf/lavc at the same time:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pwUdRKllo0
>
> wow thats a big ffmpeg poster! it looks larger than any other posters
> i've seen in the fosdem vids.
>
> were there any interesting comments or questions for the ffmpeg devels?

Here are a few comments I heard, well they were more like
feature requests:

- Someone who cross-compiles ffmpeg with just a hand-picked
selection of codecs expressed his wish for an interface which
simplifies setting configure options, similar like kconfig with
a graphical or an ncurses interface.

- Someone using ffmpeg in a PHP-based web application said
he wants to display container information to the user and has
a lot of work parsing ffmpeg's diagnostic output as it differs
depending on format

- The same person also has to go through some hoops as he
aims at "automatic storyboard generation". He currently uses
ffmpeg to export a video to MJPEG and feeds that into another
program which does a scene cut detection. Then he creates an
index file listing the frame positions in the middle between
the detected cuts, exports all frames of the video with ffmpeg
to image files and takes only the frames that are in the index
file to have his storyboard as a result.
Features simplifying this would be first to expose the
scene-cut detection which is buried in some encoders to the user
and secondly to accept a list of positions for doing screenshots
in a batch.
Apparently he also has an experimental setup where he
combines this with speech recognition, so that he can get
a complete storyboard of pictures and textual dialogues out
of a video file. That sounded quite interesting to me.

Stefan