[FFmpeg-devel] Patch: CrystalHD decoder support

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri Dec 31 03:53:55 CET 2010

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 06:36:48PM -0700, Philip Langdale wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 23:56:08 +0100, Michael Niedermayer
> <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
>>
>> Our API doesnt support this thus this cannot be done without a small
>> API
>> extension (that is to keep the dts at the decoder input useable)
>> The multithreading code needs a similar/same API extension to allow
>> decoders to
>> work on multiple frames at the same time.
>
> Could you elaborate on what's missing here? With the reordered_opaque
> handling
> in place, I can get sync'ed video, at least with some content, although
> it takes
> many seconds to reach sync at the beginning - I guess this is caused by
> the
> limitation you're describing? I'd be happy to try and implement it if I
> can
> understand what's missing.

there are 2 timestamps
1. pts, they represent the time at which the binary packet should be displayed
   once it is decodec (this goes through reordered_opaque)
2. dts, they represent the time at which the output that happens to come out
   of the decoder should be displayed.

With your code dts based timing support is lost. This is bad when pts are
unavailable or where they are incorrect due to buggy encoder.

basically whats needed is a fifo into which the dts are feeded similar to
reordered_opaque. The size of this fifo would be the number of frames the
decoder is laging behind a theoretical reference decoder. (thus it can also
change)

I dont know if this will fix the initial many second sync issue you describe
or if this is a unrelated issue

Incandescent light bulbs waste a lot of energy as heat so the EU forbids them.
Their replacement, compact fluorescent lamps, much more expensive, dont fit in
many old lamps, flicker, contain toxic mercury, produce a fraction of the light
that is claimed and in a unnatural spectrum rendering colors different than
in natural light. Ah and we now need to turn the heaters up more in winter to
compensate the lower wasted heat. Who wins? Not the environment, thats for sure