[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC/PATCH] TrueHD, DTS-HD, E-AC3 over HDMI (IEC 61937)

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula
Mon Dec 20 03:56:21 CET 2010

On 19.11.2010 18:30, Anssi Hannula wrote:
> Ok, here's a suggestion. Please comment :)

No comments from ffmpeg devs, I see.
But that is not the reason I haven't yet posted an updated patch, I've
just been busy with other work. I'll do that as soon as I can.

One updated thought below.

> On 16.11.2010 03:44, Anssi Hannula wrote:
>> - The user has no idea if the stream is DTS-HD or standard DTS.
>>   And the user needs the information to determine the sample rate
>>   of the outputted IEC 61937 stream.
>
> Use bit_rate in AVFormatContext for this, defining it as follows (or
> some better description if we come up with one):
> - muxing: Set by libavformat at least in those CBR cases where the user
>   normally needs this information and it isn't possible to infer it from
>   the basic stream properties (e.g. when using DTS in IEC 61937 muxer).
>
> Thus the user can calculate the needed transmission sample rate from the
> bit_rate field.
>
>> - The user may want to transmit the stream over a non-HDMI link
>>   ( <= 48 kHz), which
>>   normally requires sending only the core portion of a DTS-HD stream.
>>   (this could be easily achieved by having two logical muxers, one for
>>    legacy spdif and one for hdmi; however, it wouldn't solve anything
>>    else)
>
> Use mux_rate in AVFormatContext for this, defining it as follows:
>      * Muxing: maximum stream bitrate in bit/s for muxers that support
>      * such a setting. Set by user.
>
> Currently it is used in mpeg/mpegts muxers. I'm not really sure if the
> use case is similar enough to warrant the use of the same field, but I
> believe it might be.
>
> For legacy S/PDIF one would set this to 48000 * 32.

I guess we should make 48000 * 32 the default for the DTS case in S/PDIF
muxer, ensuring backward compatibility with non-HD-handling
applications. If the caller can handle DTS-HD, they can set it to 768000
* 32 or 192000 * 32 themself.

--
Anssi Hannula