[FFmpeg-devel] Linking against lame considered non-free?

Aurelien Jacobs aurel
Sun Aug 15 14:30:25 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 04:24:39PM +0200, Reinhard Tartler wrote:

> For full context, please see
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.mp3.lame/5092
>
> Short summary, the Lame licsense places additional restrictions on its
> LGPL license, as seen in
> http://lame.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/lame/lame/README?view=markup:

I've had a quick look at the source code in libmp3lame, and the few
files I've had a look at all contained a straight LGPL header without
any additionnal restriction.
I'm not an expert, and this would require a deeper look, but to me it
looks like libmp3lame might be considered strictly LGPL v2+.

Aurel