[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] unix socket protocol and our proto situation

Martin Storsjö martin
Fri Aug 13 14:07:06 CEST 2010

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, Luca Barbato wrote:

> On 08/13/2010 12:39 PM, Martin Storsj? wrote:
> > I'm not too fond of introducing _yet_ another buffering layer. Currently,
> > things are buffered in the kernel, sometimes a little in the URLContext
> > (for some protocols), in ByteIOContext, and at last the demuxed packets
> > within the end-user application (e.g. ffplay).
>
> - the URLContext is where I'd put the buffer so at least that part would
> be more uniform.

Missed to reply to this part - I'm not really sure I agree here.

I'd rather have URLContext be as thin a wrapper as possible around the
actual lower-level primitives. Since we already have buffering at all the
other levels, I'd rather keep this level as unbuffered as possible.

// Martin