[FFmpeg-devel] LibVA hardware acceleration support for ffmpeg command line.

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Tue Aug 10 17:58:08 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 06, 2010 at 10:13:02AM -0400, compn wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 22:42:58 +0930, Meekys wrote:
> >Hey all,
> >
> >I've been poking around at the ffmpeg code a bit the last couple of weeks
> >trying to get the ffmpeg command line tool to support hardware acceleration.
>
> interesting. i wonder if it can be merged with:
> http://www.splitted-desktop.com/~gbeauchesne/mplayer-vaapi/

A proper implementation should need no or at least no more than
maybe 4 lines in MPlayer, ffmpeg.c or whichever other application.
It should be handled completely transparently by the decoder,
either with hardware-acceleration flags or (probably easier
for now and with less bike-shedding) as a separate codec,
like the way mp3 and mp3float exists currently.
Besides the naming conventions not matching, I don't think
a patch that not only needs each application using libavcodec
to be changed for no good reason at all but also does not even
make any of the code at all available via libavcodec is not
even remotely acceptable.