[FFmpeg-devel] Interpolation algorithms for FFmpeg

Sebastian Vater cdgs.basty
Tue Aug 3 14:26:22 CEST 2010

Michael Niedermayer a ?crit :
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 12:54:21AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 08:38:47PM +0200, Sebastian Vater wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys!
>>>
>>> In accordance with my chief I planned my Bachelor work to deal with interpolation algorithms and I also have to code one.
>>>
>>> After getting some informations from Benjamin Larsson what is already supported in FFmpeg, I was doing some research last weekend on interpolation for being a) usable for
>>> FFmpeg and b) for my Bachelor work.
>>>
>>> I found this one very interesting (Farrow Interpolation mode):
>>> http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/dspblks/ref/variablefractionaldelay.html#f6-552788
>>>
>> what is farrow interpolation?
>> this text in that link is pretty much crap. I can explain what fir is in 2
>> lines they drag it out over pages and diagrams that only make sense to someone
>> who knows already what the things are besides that the informations is
>> obviously incomplete.
>>

>>> I have to tell my chief next monday, which interpolation mode I want to implement in the Bachelor work (which could be included in FFmpeg, too).
>>> It will also be part of my GSoC project and be used by the mixing engine of libavsequencer, i.e. realtime appliance is required.
>>>
>>> Any ideas, comments?
>>>
>> ffmpeg would be interrested in any of the following
>> * picture scaling by doing interpolation along the direction of most equal
>>   color or otherwise along the texture pattern
>> * video frame rate changing by interpolation along motion vectors
>> * audio resampling by adaptively switching filters (for example filter
>>   length) depending on audio characteristics with the intent of maximizing
>>   similarity to the ideal/correct signal.
>>

> also note that the middle of teh 3 is hard and would eat alot of your time
> if you want it to work well in practice instead of just as a academic
> excercise

What about color conversation interpolation techniques like tetrahedral
interpolation, which can also be used for conversion between ICC profiles?

--

Best regards,
                   :-) Basty/CDGS (-: