[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Removing non-pthreads support

Måns Rullgård mans
Tue Apr 20 12:45:54 CEST 2010

Reimar D?ffinger <Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> writes:

> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 10:55:27PM +0100, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
>> Does a plain build, with dynamically linked systems libs, work
>> correctly?  Pure static builds can fail in crazy ways with glibc too
>> (thanks a lot, Drepper), so I'm not terribly concerned if this case
>> requires an extra hack or two.  What does the ffmpeg patch look like?
>
> Well, so far static builds seem to be working with 0 issues, at least
> MPlayer for Windows has since ages been a single binary.
> I'm already not happy about people having to install extra dependencies
> since it's such a pain for MinGW, and I really dislike if it's not working
> at all.
> I know none if this is "our" fault, but still.
> I don't fully understand why the maintenance burden for this is an issue now,

It's always an issue when we want to change something.  Right now, we
want to change something.

> IIRC I was the last one to touch it and it was ages ago.

If it were not there, you would not have had to touch it.  As I
recall, you fixed something I'd accidentally broken due to not being
able to test it.

> Contrary to the BeOS support the Windows support is at least
> something I can test...

Apparently both OS/2 and BeOS thread support are broken.  I think this
supports my assertion that they are a maintenance burden.

--
M?ns Rullg?rd
mans at mansr.com