[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Removing non-pthreads support

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Tue Apr 20 10:20:51 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:19:09PM -0300, Ramiro Polla wrote:
> 2010/4/19 M?ns Rullg?rd <mans at mansr.com>:
> > FFmpeg currently supports four different threading libraries:
> > pthreads, beos, win32, and OS/2. ?I suspect most people already use
> > pthreads, and all the relevant operating systems seem to have a
> > pthreads implementation, even OS/2. ?I'm not sure about old BeOS, but
> > I doubt anyone is still using that, much less with threads.
> >
> > To ease the maintenance burden, I suggest we drop support for all but
> > pthreads in FFmpeg. ?If there is a compelling reason for keeping any
> > of the others, please speak up now.
>
> What's the best way to test threads performance? I tried mpeg4 encoding with:

i dont know but testing mpeg2 and dv decoding probably makes sense as well
especially dv is structured differently

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your
right to say it. -- Voltaire