[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] RTP hint tracks in the mov muxer

Martin Storsjö martin
Mon Apr 19 15:31:25 CEST 2010

Hi,

I've started sketching on adding support for RTP hint tracks in the mov
muxer.

Brief background: When serving an on-demand .mov/.3gp/.mp4 using some RTSP
servers (notably, darwin streaming server), the server itself isn't able
to do the RTP packetization, but relies on the files containing hints on
how to packetize it. In QuickTime apps, this can be done by checking an
"Enable streaming" box when exporting, or alternatively, the hint tracks
can be added with third party applications such as MP4Box/GPAC.

These hint tracks are standardized in the ISO base media file format.

I've got working prototype code for the all of this, but before I try to
polish it up for review, I'd like to know in which way such a MOV track
should be marked. Currently, I've been using:

    hint_st->codec->codec_type = AVMEDIA_TYPE_DATA;
    hint_st->codec->codec_tag = MKTAG('r', 't', 'p', ' ');

'rtp ' is the tag used for these tracks within the stsd atom. Is this ok
for identifying these tracks within the mov muxer, or should I add
CODEC_ID_RTP_HINT and set that as codec_id instead?

// Martin