[FFmpeg-devel] get_bits overrun checking from Google Chrome patches

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Wed Sep 9 02:04:59 CEST 2009

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 05:50:48PM +0100, Robert Swain wrote:
> 2009/9/8 Alex Converse <alex.converse at gmail.com>:
> > On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 4:21 AM, Reimar
> > D?ffinger<Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes, fix the codecs to explicitly check for buffer end at the appropriate
> >> (codec-specific!) points, taking advantage of the fact that buffers are
> >> 0-padded.
> >
> > It's fairly simple to include a get_bits_count inside the loop. I just
> > don't know how much we need to pad, the maximum size of a rogue syntax
> > element.
>
> But can the maximum size of a rogue syntax element be larger than zero
> padding at the end of the packet buffer? If so then I guess we need
> some finer granularity of checking within the loop/parser functions.

or increase padding (no iam not saying that is what i want, i just wanted
to mention it as noone seems to have yet in the theard ...)

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in
ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners. -- Vladimir Lenin