[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] FFmpeg Foundation

François Revol revol
Fri Oct 30 16:08:11 CET 2009

> > It protects our name against abuse by third parties and users would
> > know
> > wether they deal with the real thing or not. We could define a set
> > of rules
> > describing when and how the FFmpeg name and logo may be used, i.e.
> > in
> > magazines, television shows, by other open source applications and
> > for
> > commercial use, similar to for example the Mozilla Firefox
> > trademark.
>
> Sounds interesting (as you can see, I hadn't looked into this yet :-)
> ). What are other people's opinions on this?

Interestingly, we recently had a talk about the Haiku trademark and
"distro guidelines" (which we should really rename, as it implies we
want distros, whereas we actually want to avoid fragmentation).

Maybe we could make some howto about this kind of procedure (when, why
create a legal body, ...) ?
Maybe the SFLC has something alike already ?

Fran?ois.