[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] FFmpeg Foundation

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Thu Oct 29 14:17:36 CET 2009

Hi,

On Oct 29, 2009, at 8:03 AM, Alex Beregszaszi <alex at rtfs.hu> wrote:
> Well if the whole foundation is US registered (as it looks like) it
> will
> be sueable easily by US companies. The foundation should be
> somewhere in
> Europe.

It doesn't hold (c). I've discussed this issue at length with SFLC and
they don't believe it's much of a real threat. Real / MS would know
the org is support, not (c) / responsible; the development would
continue regardless of whether the org exists. And since it doesn't
hold (c), they'd have to prove that development / RE'ing was a DMCA
violation happening under supervision of the org. At that time, the
org didn't even exist! They will surely lose.

That leaves patent trolls looking for easy cash. I'd say: bring them
bastards on! The SFLC can offer legal assistance here.

Ronald