[FFmpeg-devel] Missing documentation of metadata keys

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Wed Oct 21 15:20:12 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 21, 2009 at 7:46 AM, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> What you(plural) try to document here is not what can be stored because
> anything can, but rather what are the standard tags.
> In that respect iam not sure if this is that usefull.
[..]
> ffmpeg does the convertion from ffmpegs standard tag to the format specific
> anyway so theres no need to know all standard tags for all formats. That
> said we of course will need a way for people to bypass that convertion
> and get their tags stored unchanged as they are. The discussion related
> to ffmpeg filling in timetamp values have shown that some people want
> things more raw ...

I think there's really two use cases:
- people who want raw power. I even think that some people wouldn't
trust our conversion tables and create their own (mea culpa). So yes,
we need that. But, secondly, there's...
- people who want standard-tags only which their UI-based player (VLC,
iTunes, WMP) will display. They want it to work, no special tags or
anything, b/c it won't display anyway in the ("broken", some people
would claim) UI.

We need to support both cases, and a listing would be useful for the
second use case (only).

Ronald