[FFmpeg-devel] Missing documentation of metadata keys

Ramiro Polla ramiro.polla
Tue Oct 20 20:16:52 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 3:30 PM, Ronald S. Bultje <rsbultje at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Bjoern Voigt <bjoern at cs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:
>> If I scanned the source code right, metadata keys are static. If they are
>> indeed more dynamic (dependent on compile options, libraries etc.), a more
>> dynamic approach (like a "-list-metadata-keys" option for ffmpeg) would
>> probably be a better idea.
>
> Regardless of static or not, this would be a good idea, IMHO.
> Introspection is a great thing.

Attached patch should be a good starting point to list the conversion
tags from ffmpeg (and document its use in the manuals). It doesn't
list tags that are used for example in nut, which gets them using
av_metadata_get(). Maybe there could be a way for all tags to be
listed in AVOutputFormat.

Anyways, I don't plan on following up on this patch, it was just a
moment of boredom, feel free to pick it up if it's useful =). And
expect more replies from the metadata maintainers...

Ramiro Polla