[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Regression test speed

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sun Nov 29 13:00:07 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 04:05:38AM +0000, M?ns Rullg?rd wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> writes:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > On my duron make test eats over 17minutes. This is quite annoying as
> > it limits which system i can reasonably work on.
>
> Would a shell account on a fast machine be of help to you?  On my
> machine make test takes about that many seconds.

no, it completes in ~3min or so on my pentium dual ;) notebook, thats ok
speed wise.
What ive meant is that this forces me to always run the reg tests on it,
i cant just develop on my duron and run the regtests on it because that
takes so abysmal long.

> > So id like to suggest that tests do not encode more tha 352x288x25
> > pixels, that is codecs limited to high resolutions should use proportionally
> > fewer frames.
> >
> > Also it seems the regression scripts have become quite convoluted and
> > complex while still not even supporting running a subset of the tests.
> > Or did i miss one?
> > [iam not counting hacking the Makefile & reference files that of course
> >  works]
>
> Running tests individually is fairly high on my list of things to do.

I think this would be really usefull for many people, no matter how fast
the reg tests are, if they are faster development could be done quicker.

Avoid a single point of failure, be that a person or equipment.