[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Pixel format descriptors and hw-accelerated pixel formats

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Thu Nov 5 00:13:00 CET 2009

On date Monday 2009-10-26 21:29:55 +0100, Stefano Sabatini encoded:
> On date Sunday 2009-10-25 19:18:49 +0100, Michael Niedermayer encoded:
> > On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 06:41:42PM +0100, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> [...]
> > > So my question is:
> > > 1) does it makes sense to fill the pixdesc plane, step, chroma_w/h,
> > > and components of an AVPixFmtDescriptor of an HW accelerated pixfmt?
> >
> > i guess it doesnt hurt to fill in what is semantically meaningfull.
>
> Now I'm trying to wrap my head around all this HW acceleration stuff,
> if someone wants in the meaningwhile gives some advice / tips I'll be
> grateful and it would speed-up things.
>
> > > I see in imgconvert the x/y chroma are used at least for VAAPI
> > > formats.

x/y chroma values (used for both VDPAU and VAAPI pixel formats) are
currently never used, and there is the possibility (see Gwenole patch)
that they will be dropped in the future, also I have not so many great
ideas about how the components should be filled for these formats.

So my idea is to commit this patch, which completes the
av_pix_fmt_descriptors list, thus enabling their use in applications.

The test program may be eventually committed in another patch.

[...]

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Foolish & Forgiving Moronic Puritan Extravagant Guide