[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] the future of libamr

Pavlov Konstantin thresh
Wed May 20 14:43:38 CEST 2009

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 07:38:50PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Now that OpenCORE AMR support is just around the corner, what about
> libamr?  I'm in favor of removing support for it.  It's nonfree and it's
> crap and we have a free replacement.
>
> There is a catch: libamr supports AMR-WB encoding, OpenCORE does not.
> IMO we can disregard this.  Hopefully it will spur the development of a
> native replacement.  I do not plan to remove libamr support from the 0.5
> branch, so it will always be available there.
>
> Thoughts?  Votes?

As a ffmpeg maintainer in a small but proud linux distro whose users only
care to decode and play videos from their mobile phones, i'm all for
removing libamr once opencore support is available for decoding amr.

--
Research is to see what everybody else has seen, and think what nobody
else has thought.