[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] the future of libamr

Benoit Fouet benoit.fouet
Wed May 20 11:01:48 CEST 2009

Hi Diego,

On 05/19/2009 07:38 PM, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Now that OpenCORE AMR support is just around the corner, what about
> libamr?  I'm in favor of removing support for it.  It's nonfree and it's
> crap and we have a free replacement.
>
> There is a catch: libamr supports AMR-WB encoding, OpenCORE does not.
> IMO we can disregard this.  Hopefully it will spur the development of a
> native replacement.  I do not plan to remove libamr support from the 0.5
> branch, so it will always be available there.

or we can only keep the support of the WB encoder, depending on non-free
flag ?
I'm not sure that the people who need WB encoder are the one who are
going to write a free WB encoder anyway :)

> Thoughts?  Votes?

I'm for its removial, but would prefer if we kept the WB encoder for now.

Ben