[FFmpeg-devel] Uncompressed pixel format handling clarifications

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Fri May 15 23:41:23 CEST 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 12:24:20PM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> Hi Kostya,
>
> On 5/15/2009 12:44 AM, Kostya wrote:

> Any comment on this ? Can we clarify what can be invoked from
> commandline and what is not possible ?

that what is supported can be invoked, that what is not can too but will
fail one way or another.

> I find weird to have different commandlines on different archs.

> >> Sorry to insist, but is it really dumb to ask this ? :/
> >
> > I've asked a question like this looooooong time ago.
> > Operating non-native endian packed bits (i.e. 15/16) is silly.
> > (the rest is IMO)
>
> Of course, I'm trying to clarify the usage here :)
>
> > Thus, for decoding it should be NE which may require swapping in a form
> > of hack in demuxer or bitstream filter or elsewhere.
>

> Even for uncompressed ?

i dont know

> For "decoders" it's easy to use NE.
> When memcpy/layout is used, it is less convenient, and I tend to think
> that avoiding swapping treatment if more efficient therefore better.

id suspect that memcpy is limited by memory speed and the bswap would be
free. Given that accessing anti-native rgb565 starts with a bswap, doing
it during copy should be more efficient, thats just speed, iam not saying
its cleaner or that i would recommand it.

If you want to add anti-native rgb565 support to sws, _clean_ patch welcome.

Breaking DRM is a little like attempting to break through a door even
though the window is wide open and the only thing in the house is a bunch
of things you dont want and which you would get tomorrow for free anyway