[FFmpeg-devel] AMR has a new decoder/encoder

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje
Tue May 12 22:06:42 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 3:35 PM, Reinhard Tartler <siretart at tauware.de> wrote:
> yes, we still are not able to directly redistribute an ffmpeg package
> that can do amr out of the box. I'm considering adding a script in
> /usr/share/doc/ffmpeg that downloads and installs the library for the
> user. Again, this is not really redistributing amr libraries, but
> documenting (in a very convenient way) how to "make it work".

You seem to somehow be under the impression that lawmakers are a bunch
of retards that do not see the difference between distribution and
distribution. Of course this would entail distribution. Why else do
you think Fedora and Ubuntu don't add restricted repositories to their
default install?

Just do it the right way: implement a LGPL AMR decoder in ffmpeg,
which happens to be part of Colin's SoC project of this year. Why not
contribute there instead?

Ronald