[FFmpeg-devel] Would like to work on lavf-based concatenation tool for GSoC qualification

Baptiste Coudurier baptiste.coudurier
Tue Mar 31 19:55:36 CEST 2009

Hi guys,

On 3/31/2009 7:26 AM, Robert Swain wrote:
> On 31/3/09 15:00, Geza Kovacs wrote:
>> I'd like to know, by "concatenation" I assume this means "without
>> re-encoding"; therefore I assume I'm not supposed to handle situations
>> when multiple files are encoded with different framerate settings or
>> different codecs (or do I instead transcode them into an intermediate
>> format in these situations?).
>
> Concatenate means to link to together. I'm not sure what the plans are
> for handling differences in frame rates or resolutions. Differing source
> formats shouldn't matter for transcoding purposes as long as on entry to
> the video encoder the resolution, frame rate and pixel format as all
> appropriate and similarly the number of channels, sample rate and sample
> format for the audio encoder, there shouldn't be any major problem.
>
> I expect Baptiste will elaborate on this. I think he had plans to allow
> specification of command line options per input so that one could affect
> the different inputs to make them concatenate-able.

Here is the project description:

Playlist/Concatenation Support
- primary goal: implement a playlist/concatenation interface to
    transcode(FFmpeg) and play(FFplay) media
- interface will use commandline switches.
- interface must support every input format FFmpeg support
- interface must work with different input stream parameters (different
    formats, codecs, video resolution, audio sample rate, audio
    channels, etc..)
- interface must support track selection
- interface must support existing playlist format files .m3u, .pls,
    xpsf.

So according to this, different resolution must be handled. About
different frame rates, this could be added later I think.

checking for life_signs in -lkenny... no