[FFmpeg-devel] Google Summer of Code participation

Thilo Borgmann thilo.borgmann
Sat Mar 28 12:20:32 CET 2009

Vitor Sessak schrieb:
> Thilo Borgmann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to participate in the GSoC 09 and I'm currently looking for a
>> small patch to release as the desired qualification task.
>>
>> There are three tasks on the list
>> (http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Small_FFmpeg_Tasks) wich
>> seem to be solvable within the remaining time untill the deadline.
>>
>> In order of preference:
>>

>> no. 5: "Patch cleanup for MPEG 1 & 2 optimizations"
>> Sound interesting to get started and quite easy. Unfortunately, the
>> link given in the corresponding thread of the development mailing
>> list points to something completely different...
>> http://roundup.ffmpeg.org/roundup/ffmpeg/issue100
>>
>> -> I would like to cleanup that patch if the information described in
>> that threat can be provided by someone? (author was "michaelni")
>
> Maybe the thread is this one:
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/2007-August/053113.html
> ?

Oh no shame on me!

The patch is for a very old revision of the file. It seems to me that
there these optimizations have already been done, like Carl Eugen mentioned.

Well that's it for the cleanup task...

I'm still looking for a task, so the other two remain for consideration:

no. 12: "16-bit Interplay Video Decoder"
Sounds interesting and as there is a working 8-bit decoder, wich throws
some errors if operating on the 16-bit demo file, there seems to be a
good starting point. Unfortunately, the section about 16-bit opcodes is
far from useful, if opcodes would have to be changed, this task becomes
very difficult...
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Interplay_Video

-> The suggestion in the wiki is to ask the development community (you!)
about a good start-off with that problem. So I do: Anyone who can help
on this? Anyone with more information about the 16-bit mode?
(Already inspected the code here... sounds like altering the #define'd
functions but how to know if it is 8-bit palette mode or 16-bit
whatsoever mode?)

no. 23: "CorePNG Decoder"
Well, the descriptions sound quite easy, BUT the current svn version of
ffmpeg (as well as my very old one) say that it "could not find codec
parameters". Thus, I suppose there is no existing PNG1 decoder wich
decodes RGB I-Frame video? Is there a PNG1 coded RGB I-Frame demo video?
So this task seems to me like implementing a whole decoder on top of the
png image decoder?
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/V-codecs/PNG1/

-> Seems to be a not that difficult task but to have a complex start-off.

Anyone has an idea about these?