[FFmpeg-devel] problem with receiving rtp streams

V0id dev_temp
Mon Mar 23 11:03:41 CET 2009

I'm trying to use libavcodec to receive RTP stream from network
(MPEG2-TS (MPEG-2 and MPEG audio)) and I'm getting kinda bad quality
with ffplay and with my test program, but mplayer and vlc are able to
play the same stream almost perfectly. If I use mplayer with -dumpstream
switch and then trying to play dumped stream with ffplay than quality is
very good.
Also, I have tried to play with ffplay rtp streams generated by ffmpeg
and vlc on my local machine. ffplay and ffmpeg pair had worst quality.
As this experiment was on local machine, there is no chance that it is a
network problem.
I'm running openSUSE 11.1 (x86) with ffmpeg build from svn on Intel Core
Quadro. So I assume, that the problem is in lavc's rtp subsystem. I
attached output from ffplay to this letter in hope, that someone will
help me to fix the problem. If is a known problem an there is some kind
of solution, I will be very appreciated.  If there is not, than at least
give me a point to start digging a source (I have some experience in C/C
++ an hope will be able to make some fixes).