[FFmpeg-devel] full swscale relicensing to LGPL

compn tempn
Mon Mar 23 04:53:13 CET 2009

On Mon, 23 Mar 2009 04:10:37 +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 08:58:46PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> A company is apparently offering 20KEUR to have all of swscale relicensed
>> under LGPL.
>
>This is apparently false, they changed the offer.
>They dont need swscale, rather they want to donate to the main developers,
>without any specific development request or focus.
>They also want to know how to get off the hall of shame

i can see the linuxhater/slashdot headline now:
'ffmpeg blackmails company for 20,000 euros'

would a document explaining the many types of ffmpeg license violations
and how exactly to remedy them be useful? we could point at said
document and say 'you violate #2, please read this doc and it will
explain how to fix'.

i know asking people to read the lgpl is the current method. but from
the correspondence i've seen on the tracker, it has a high failure (low
understanding of technical lawyer speak) rate.

-compn