[FFmpeg-devel] full swscale relicensing to LGPL

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Sat Mar 21 16:45:40 CET 2009

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 09:24:04AM +0200, Kostya wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 08:58:46PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > A company is apparently offering 20KEUR to have all of swscale relicensed
> > under LGPL.
> >
> > Iam not opposed to this, but iam not the only author who still has GPL
> > code in there, so my question to all other authors is:
> > do you
> > agree to relicensing your code under /libswscale as of current ffmpeg HEAD
> > to LGPL?
> > If so what percentage, if any of the money do you want for it?
> >
> > some statistics about the x86 asm (other asm seems with the exception of
> > swscale_altivec_template to be under LGPL already)
> > svn blame -x --ignore-space-change -x --ignore-all-space rgb2rgb.c rgb2rgb_template.c swscale.c swscale_template.c yuv2rgb.c yuv2rgb_template.c rgb2rgb.h swscale.h swscale_internal.h  >blame3
> >
> > egrep '(\\n\\t|%%mm)' blame3 | sed 's/ *[0-9]* *\([^ ]*\) .*/\1/' | sort |uniq -c | sort -n
> >       7 ivo
> >      13 flameeyes
> >      20 atmos4
> >      34 stefang
> >      37 sdrik
> >      43 reimar
> >      71 cehoyos
> >     117 diego
> >     192 nick
> >     210 arpi
> >     301 aurel
> >    1663 michael
> >
> > this of course has to be taken with a grain of salt as its just a automated
> > statistic diego for example wrote no asm and aurels commits where:
> >  "adapting existing mmx/mmx2/sse/3dnow optimizations so they work on x86_64"
> >  "fix few x86_64 registers handling"
> >  "10000l : fix a crash on x86 due to an horrible mistake in my x86_64 patch"
>
> also the history was ditched for yuv2rgb.c

the GPL yuv2rgb was removed from svn if that is what you mean ...

> > and then there is the original code from yuv2rgb_template.c which is
> > copyrighted by god knows who (i traced it to r2 of mplayer libvo/yuv2rgb_mmx.c
> > commited by arpi and probably from libmpeg2)
> > possibly copyrighted by Olie Lho
> > and swscale_altivec_template.c by Romain Dolbeau
>
> I can rewrite some parts if needed since I have both x86 and PPC boxes. Also
> my opinion on LGPLing my patches for swscale should be obvious.

there should be no need for PPC rewrites, i think, romain apparently agreed
to lgpl in the past, only the question if he wants some of the euros is left.
and then of course we have no money yet ...

in case of yuv2rgb_template.c iam 90% sure it will need to be rewritten,
(that is minus the code i wrote in it)
ive had no luck to find a working email of olie lho, who apparently is the
original author and i remember faintly that people tried to find him in the
past already without luck (if someone had luck in the past id assume he would
have replied and said so by now)

I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know
nothing. -- Socrates