[FFmpeg-devel] MXF D10 regression tests

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Thu Mar 19 18:55:53 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 03:09:13PM +0100, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 08:59:25AM +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:
> > Your missing that PAL8 currently has linesize[1] = 4
>
> so change linesize to 0 or add a check for PAL8

Changing linesize could be considered breaking API, and the alternative
would need to check for more than just PAL8, it's a (small) load of
other formats that have linesize[1] == 4 currently.

> its neither me who broke the regressions

Since it just uncovered an existing bug there is not really anyone else
to blame either though.

> nor me who submitted the patch

I protest the (hopefully not intended by you) implication that whoever
tries to fix something suddenly becomes responsible for fixing it.

> (in case you try to implicate that i should be fixing this)

Well, you are the maintainer... And I can say I do not enjoy working on
the MPEG code, you have to spend ages just to find the code you are
looking for (because there is a lot of it), then you have to find out what
is the _intended_ behaviour (since it is usually not documented), then
you have to guess which of the "random assumptions" are bugs and which
are just not documented.
You will have to accept that I want the confidence that there are no obvious
issues that are reason to reject a patch before I make a third attempt on this,
which is why I have mentioned these issues and why your reponse stating
the obvious ("so change linesize to 0 or add a check for PAL8") isn't
too helpful for me. Of course I would not have minded if I had gotten
you to fix it yourself by being a bit annoying :-)