[FFmpeg-devel] Force a keyframe

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Mon Mar 16 20:17:58 CET 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 9:15 AM, Reimar D?ffinger
<Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 04:53:01PM +0100, Janin Kolenc wrote:
>> >
>> > maybe you found a bug, a patch fixing it would be welcome,
>> > adding more code and a new field to workaround it is not
>>

>> If I understand the code correctly the pict_type field is set by
>> select_input_picture in mpegvideo_enc.c
>> and should not be set by a user ? So the correct way would be to set
>> picture type according to
>> some parameter (force_keyframe) in this function ?
>
> No, (IMO) it should only be set by the encoder (i.e. if not set by
> user), but not overridden. What to do about nonsensical values is a
> different question though.

IMO the proper solution would be to do what x264 does--just ignore
them.  That is, use the input frametypes to the best of the encoder's
ability, but if they violate the parameters set by the user or basic
common sense rules, just ignore those that violate the rules.

Dark Shikari