[FFmpeg-devel] Blu Ray drive donation

compn tempn
Mon Mar 16 21:16:38 CET 2009

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009 18:57:20 +0200, Kostya wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 04:14:10PM +0000, Robert Swain wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> After the phoronix interview [1] that we indulged after the release last
>> week, it seems there is a fair amount of interest in FFmpeg supporting
>> Blu Ray decoding.
>
>That depends on what's missing.
>From the list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray#Codecs):

i've been trying to keep track of bluray/hddvd support here:
http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Blu_Ray_and_HD-DVD_Playback_Status
needs updating re: interlaced vc1/h264.

>> I expect we would not try to implement some AACS decryption, but only
>> support decoding of non-encrypted streams. Is anyone interested in
>> receiving this donation to work on Blu Ray support?
>
>Indeed, it's mostly AACS stuff where you need real media. For codecs streams
>stored at FTP should be enough.

except the drive _is_ the donation, exactly FOR the aacs support.

there is an aacs implementation in java, and a guide how to rip the
movies on linux:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RestrictedFormats/BluRayAndHDDVD

this aacs lib could be a nice GSoC project, of course it doesnt have to
be ffmpeg's. it could go in VLC or any group :)

while this lib cannot use AACS to decrypt (because it has no player key
for itself), it should allow users to use keys from other players.

e.g. ffmpeg + aacslib reads from ~/.aacs/keys
it would have a list of known player and disk keys:

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
45 5F E1 04 22 CA 29 C4 93 3F 95 05 2B 79 2A B2
7A 5F 8A 09 F8 33 F7 22 1B D4 1F A6 4C 9C 79 33

-compn