[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] special "broken DV" demuxer

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Wed Mar 11 21:05:32 CET 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:19:32PM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> Then I suggest we revert the support of spacejam*.dv until we find an
> adequate solution. "pond.dv" has IMHO preference since it was working
> before.

Maybe someone could start saying what an adequate solution would be! I
proposed one I consider completely adequate (extra demuxer) and one I
consider mostly adequate (except it needs to be re-checked against the
spec).
Also I can reason just as much that spacejam*.dv is spec-compliant while
pond.dv is not, thus it should have preference.

> Furthermore, I believe if we add a new demuxer for this case, we should
> add a new demuxer for every format having a startcode and can be "in the
> middle of a cd image". I find this definitely non reasonable.

There is no _need_ to add a new demuxer, it just is a really simple way
to do it. And such hacks are not necessary for any other formats, DV is
the only format where it is customary to support files that follow
almost no part of the specs.
Except for one small error ((state & 0xffffff7f) == 0x1f07003f
should be (state & 0xf0ffff7f) == 0x1007003f) the current code supports
all valid files as far as I can tell.