[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] special "broken DV" demuxer

Roman V Shaposhnik rvs
Wed Mar 11 00:51:15 CET 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 20:04 +0100, Reimar D?ffinger wrote:

> > > What do you mean?
> >
> > I meant, that the file was playable before the change to the
> > autodetection.
>
> My suggestion with the separate demuxer will restore exactly the same
> behaviour, except that it will also play badly cut files if the have a
> header section and in addition will never require seeking.

So the only issue at hand is how to support autodetection, right?
Would it be possible to read a 1st frame and feed it to the decoder?

> > I have to know more details on what exactly seems to be broken
> > in that stream to make a call. Its ok for reserved things to be
> > whatever they are.
>
> Then someone should simplify our DV encoder because it is full of stuff
> like
>                    0xc;       /* reserved -- always b1100 */
> If that is not necessary that is an extreme amount of bloat.

Well, sticking to the spec does add complexity. Which is, I suspect,
the reason quite a few hardware DV encoders don't give a rip about
some of these. Michael had a good summary of how the specs in general
are supposed to be implemented.

Thanks,
Roman.