[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Many formats return wrong position => seeking problems

Ivan Schreter schreter
Sat Mar 7 21:38:38 CET 2009

Hi Michael,

Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 07, 2009 at 05:28:41PM +0100, Ivan Schreter wrote:
>
>> Reimar D?ffinger wrote:

>>> Can you please define what "correct position" means? That would make it
>>> easier to know which are broken and how to fix them (or alternatively
>>> flame you if the requirements are too restrictive ;-) ).
>>>

>> Well, quite easy:
>>
>> av_read_frame() returns an AVPacket, containing file position in member
>> pos. If I reposition the file pointer to this position in the file, I
>> expect next av_read_frame() to return exactly the same packet (also with
>> same DTS/PTS, single exception being undefined DTS/PTS after repositioning).
>>

> in that sense most formats do not have a position, as they will never work
> once you touch the file pointer, their demuxers rather need various parts
> of their internal state updated
> and code that does this exists and works.

But how do you want to implement the new seeking API then? The algorithm
you described _requires_ to be able to restart reading from a given
position. Namely, after we find keyframes in all streams of interest, we
have to reposition the file pointer to the frame with lowest file
position and start reading from there.  But this requires that positions
returned from av_read_frame() are valid (transitively requiring demuxers
to return correct position of packets returned from them).

I think this should not be that big problem, since those formats in
question also have the notion of keyframes, when they do synchronize the
internal state. But at least these keyframes must return correct file
position and timestamps from av_read_frame(). And this is missing.

As for the code in demuxer to update internal state after file position
change: currently the seeking routine does this (it seems to usually
first call the generic seek and then update the state). But I didn't
find any other means of updating the state. Possibly, a new demuxer
function is needed to update state after position change during backward
search for keyframes (we need to reposition the file offset and start
from that position) and after all keyframes found.

BTW, I still didn't get any comments from you to the seeking patch I
posted for pre-review already twice... It effectively implements your
algorithm for searching for keyframes in several streams.

Regards,

Ivan