[FFmpeg-devel] [option.c] "g" option set to 12

Michael Niedermayer michaelni
Mon Jun 29 19:32:17 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 09:29:11AM +0100, j f wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it on purpose that the gop size is set to 12 by default ?
> I know that you never do anything that is not on purpose, but i'am just asking or did i miss something?

as a global default 12 is better than let say 100 because
mpeg2 decoders tend to use less accurate idcts, if it where a per codec
default mpeg4 asp & h264 should use larger defaults

Complexity theory is the science of finding the exact solution to an
approximation. Benchmarking OTOH is finding an approximation of the exact