[FFmpeg-devel] What is the relationship between wmv1, wmv2 and wmv3 and msmpeg4?

Stefan Gehrer stefan.gehrer
Sun Jun 28 18:23:08 CEST 2009

Stefan Gehrer wrote:
> zhihang wang wrote:
>> It is no doubt that I add the AVS encoder to the ffmpeg project.
>
> There is doubt about it, as you seemingly want to add it to the
> ffavs project in a way which makes it unusable for the ffmpeg
> project.
>
> I hope you are aware that a working encoder for AVS has already
> been proposed?
> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2007-July/033273.html
>
> I think it would be easiest for you to take that patch (my feeling
> is that it is close to being acceptable for inclusion into ffmpeg)
> and improve its coding efficiency or add features you consider
> important. If you go that way, I would be happy to help you if any
> questions arise or to review changes.

Updated patch for today's SVN attached. A recommended procedure for
trying it: Download http://www.hlevkin.com/TestVideo/foreman.yuv
and encode it to AVS like this:

ffmpeg -s cif -i foreman.yuv -vcodec cavs -strict -2 -cqp 32 test.avi

The "-strict -2" is necessary as the status of the encoder
is experimental.
The "-cqp 32" is necessary as currently no rate control is supported
and a fixed quantizer (in my example 32) has to be chosen.

You can then play it back again just by using

ffplay test.avi

Have fun
Stefan