[FFmpeg-devel] license violator seeking help to continue his behavior

Patrice Bensoussan patrice.bensoussan
Thu Jun 25 02:44:56 CEST 2009

On 25 Jun 2009, at 01:39, Karl Blomster wrote:

> Patrice Bensoussan wrote:

>>> I cannot reproduce your problem on Mac OS X 10.5.
>>>

>>> But this is not the important thing here.  The important thing
>>> here is
>>> that you are blatantly violating our license in many ways with your
>>> easywma and easywmv shareware programs:
>>>
>>> http://www.easywma.com/
>>> http://www.easywma.com/wmv/
>>>
>>> And now you have the cheek to come here to get help preparing your
>>> next
>>> release?  This is galling and the fact that you have some patches in
>>> FFmpeg makes it doubly disappointing.
>> Can you please elaborate on how I am violating the license? I would
>> be happy to fix any issue related to this?
>> Patrice
>
> A wild guess says that since you're compiling ffmpeg with swscale,
> libx264 and various other GPL components, the entire ffmpeg binary
> becomes GPL licensed and hence it is a violation of the GPL to not
> make the source code of your application available.
>
> As it was also noted recently, compiling ffmpeg with both GPL
> components and faac makes the resulting binary illegal to distribute
> in most (all? IANAL) countries where the GPL is enforceable (that is
> most countries, and most likely including yours), but I don't know
> who would enforce that.

My application is not linked to ffmpeg. The binary of ffmpeg is
distributed without any modification. Unless I am mistaken, this is
allowed by the GPL licence. Regarding faac, can you please clarify
what the issue is? faac is LGPL and hence can be distributed with
ffmpeg? Thanks.

Patrice