[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Rename APIchange to InterfaceChangelog

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala
Thu Jun 25 00:12:45 CEST 2009

On date Tuesday 2009-06-23 20:42:23 -0300, Ramiro Polla encoded:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Stefano
> Sabatini<stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it> wrote:

> >> Seconded, our changelog is rather sparse..
> >
> > So it is OK to do as proposed in the subject?
> >
> > This proposal will assume two distinct files for documenting the
> > project changes:
> >
> > * Changelog: document the new *features* introduced/removed, i.e. new
> > ?format/libraries added/dropped
> >
> > * doc/InterfaceChangelog: document the *interface* changes introduced,
> > ?that is both API changes and configuration/build and ff* tools
> > ?interface changes.
>
> I'd prefer keeping a file specific to API changes. I can't offer a
> better solution atm though...

Another (imo better) solution would be to put all the build system/ff*
tools interface changes in Changelog, that would mean also to adopt a
format similar to that of doc/APIchanges, providing the revision
number/date for each change.

For example we could start to fill the entries like this, e.g.:

version <next>:

- r19XXX - make configure select the input/output devices using
  --{enable|disable}-{in,out}dev rather than
  --{enable|disable}-{demuxer|muxer} as before

- PB-frame decoding for H.263
- deprecated vhook subsystem removed

That would be greatly useful for people needing to update ff* tools
based scripts (and add another bit of boredom to devs...).

> > BTW where we're at it we could also move Changelog to doc/Changelog.

Anyway I also suggest to put the changelog files togheter in the same
dir (. or doc?), and rename APIchanges -> APIChangelog for consistency
with the other file.

Regards.
--
FFmpeg = Fostering and Faboulous Mortal Philosofic Elastic Governor