[FFmpeg-devel] Alternate audio bit depth support

Benjamin Larsson banan
Mon Jun 22 21:33:55 CEST 2009

Brian Crowell wrote:
> Hello. Just recently became a libavcodec/libavformat user. I see
> there's been discussions about adding support for audio bit depths
> other than 16 in the API, and from what I read in the code, that
> hasn't happened yet.
>
>   http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=Ffmpeg_audio_api
>
> First: Has anyone been working on this?
>
> Second: If nobody's working on it, I'd be willing to put some time
> into it. I like the proposal of making it like the video API: the
> codec just exposes a "native" format, where native is the format of
> the codec's internal buffer. (Example: AC3 uses float internally.)
>
> Comments? Suggestions? Links to previous discussions or partial implementations?
>
> --Brian

There is support for other formats. We just haven't converted all the
codecs to use it yet. RA228 being one of them.

http://git.ffmpeg.org/?p=ffmpeg;a=blob;f=libavcodec/ra288.c;h=abc7df51bd65f7c620c910b74141ab3adc8a0ff9;hb=HEAD

Patches to convert more of them would be welcome.

MvH
Benjamin Larsson