[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] Facebook bug reports

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari
Thu Jun 11 18:09:22 CEST 2009

I'm currently working for Facebook, which is at this point probably
the world's largest user of ffmpeg in terms of videos processed (a few
million a week).  Of course, this means we get every possible sample
under the sun in terms of things that break ffmpeg.  Crashes, bugs,
unsupported formats, misdetections, broken muxing, everything you can
imagine.  About half a gig of logs are generated per day, so it's a
hell of a lot to grep through.  We can upgrade ffmpeg basically as
often as we want, so once a few fixes go in we can update, thus
filtering out that particular bug so it doesn't get reported again.  I
figure this is a really great chance to get a whole ton of bugs fixed.

Here's the reports so far:

https://roundup.ffmpeg.org/roundup/ffmpeg/issue1174
https://roundup.ffmpeg.org/roundup/ffmpeg/issue1173
https://roundup.ffmpeg.org/roundup/ffmpeg/issue1170
https://roundup.ffmpeg.org/roundup/ffmpeg/issue1169
https://roundup.ffmpeg.org/roundup/ffmpeg/issue1168
https://roundup.ffmpeg.org/roundup/ffmpeg/issue1167
https://roundup.ffmpeg.org/roundup/ffmpeg/issue1166 (fixed by Baptiste)
https://roundup.ffmpeg.org/roundup/ffmpeg/issue1165
https://roundup.ffmpeg.org/roundup/ffmpeg/issue1164

I'll be dumping more and more over the next few weeks.

As an important note, these videos are *user-uploaded*, so it would
obviously be very bad form to place them in any publicly accessible
place (they're in incoming at the moment).  The users trust that
Facebook will only show their videos to developers as necessary to
solve problems and not use them beyond that, so we need to respect
that.  As such, the videos should be deleted from incoming after the
related bug is fixed.  There are few videos where this doesn't apply
(things that are clearly not personal videos, e.g. professional music
videos or corporate advertisements), so use discretion.  One
suggestion I heard was we could keep the videos indefinitely at
Facebook to run regression tests on for ffmpeg.

Another ability we have is that, since we keep practically all logs,
we can grep for nearly any error under the sun if it can be easily
regex'd, so if you have a particular error you're looking for, I can
look for it.  However, we only keep original uploaded files for short
period after they are sent, so I can't get older videos.

Dark Shikari