[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] the future of libamr

Diego Biurrun diego
Tue Jun 9 22:17:08 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 12:11:58PM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
> On 6/9/2009 5:47 AM, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> However you seem to be missing my point.
> >> Yes it wasn't removed and because it was _not_, it tends to show that
> >> it's not necessary nor helping to _remove_ it. That's an argument in
> >> favor of _not_ removing libamr wrapper for WB encoding.
> >
> > I disagree, let's leave it at that.
>
> Being against the _facts_ is weird IMHO.

I could say the same, we interpret the facts differently.

> >> I completely understand what you are talking about, and IMHO issues
> >> should be dealt in the name of FFmpeg, the project, if you wish you
> >> include yourself and I wish to be included as well, I think you should
> >> use "us".
> >
> > You don't understand what I am trying to say here.  This is not at all
> > about me using "us" or "me".  I speak in the name of FFmpeg (using "us"
> > and "we") when dealing with license violators.  Let me try again to get
> > my point across.  Hopefully with more success this time around.
> >
> > When I contact company X, then I do so speaking as an individual in the
> > name of a project.  Other individuals, say Mike Melanson or Benjamin
> > Larsson, are not directly involved, only indirectly because they, too,
> > belong to the FFmpeg project.
> >
> > So when I have a credibility problem, the FFmpeg project also has a
> > credibility problem, but neither Benjamin nor Mike have a direct
> > credibility problem.  They are not in direct contact, their names are
> > not directly on the line.
>
> You don't understand what I am trying to say here. This is about "you"
> using "I" instead of "we". This is not about "you" having a credibility
> problem if that is so, it is about "FFmpeg".
>
> When you are speaking on behalf of FFmpeg, I think you should always use
> "we" and "us".

I understand your point perfectly, but it does not apply.  Even when I
communicate with violators as "we", I am still an individual.  An
individual in representation of a group, but still an individual.
As such, it is my credibility that is on the line.

Rest assured that I know when to use which personal pronoun when
communicating with license violators.

Diego