[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] the future of libamr

Jai Menon jmenon86
Mon Jun 8 06:30:04 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 2:02 AM, Diego Biurrun<diego at biurrun.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 07, 2009 at 01:22:20PM -0700, Baptiste Coudurier wrote:
>> Diego Biurrun wrote:
>> >
>> > It costs us the opportunity that somebody might get motivated to
>> > implement AMR-WB encoding support.
>>
>> While I can see how this can be true, in practice I believe this has
>> proven to not have many results outside of FFmpeg.
>> Libswscale was reimplemented by Kostya, AAC decoder by GSOC then Robert,
>> now Alex, but this was still driven by FFmpeg and animated which I
>> reimplemented myself.
>
> I disagree. ?HE-AAC is being sponsored by a Finnish company, you did
> quite a bit a bit of implementation work for your company, there are
> more examples..
>
>> > It also costs me some credibility when dealing with license violators.
>> > We do not like companies distributing nonfree builds of FFmpeg, but we
>> > keep the means to create such builds.
>>
>> "me" ? You mean FFmpeg
>
> I mean both FFmpeg as a project as well as myself when dealing with
> license violators.
>
>> > AMR-WB encoding is a very obscure feature. ?We hardly have a sample or
>> > two. ?You can always transcode to WAV and feed that to an old binary
>> > with libamr support.
>>
>> However we are asking people to code and submit patches against latest svn.
>
> Sure, but this is not about submitting patches.

>> > Fine. ?If somebody credible turns up to work on AMR-WB encoding support
>> > and libamr support in HEAD would help, I promise to restore libamr.c.
>> > Is that good for you?
>>
>> I'm sorry but no. I'd like to keep libamr AMR-WB encoding feature until
>> someone start implementing one within FFmpeg.
>
> Then we must vote.

I don't know whose opinions are being solicited here, but imho we
should keep it around till somebody with serious interest in a native
implementation shows up (or amr-wb encoding is added to opencore etc).

--
Regards,

Jai