[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] the future of libamr

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger
Sun Jun 7 16:16:56 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jun 07, 2009 at 12:53:08PM +0100, Robert Swain wrote:
> vhook has a successor in the works which promises to be much better
> while vhook itself was deemed 'bad'.

There was a yet-to-be-written better replacement,

> Did the GIF decoder have a
> replacement pending at the time?

There wasn't anything except for a vague hope of a yet-to-be-written
better replacement I think.

> libswscale was a replacement that was
> supposed to be mostly better than imgconvert.

No, it was a replacement that was supposed to become better somewhen IMO.
So I would it say in _that_ regard it is just another feature that would
be removed in anticipation of a yet-to-be-written-if-ever replacement.
Of course another question would be if there is enough reason to remove
it, but for my taste there have been too many people distributing FFmpeg
builds with --enable-nonfree. Removing it is not the best, but surely
the easiest way to deal with it...

> One could argue that the vhook filters are also no insignificant amount
> of work, though people don't usually need all of them and the ones in
> high demand are receiving attention in libavfilter already.

I can't shake the impression that would it receive real interest, a AMR
encoder would reach SVN faster than most filters (and no this is not
meant as blaming anyone).